Recipe - Spiced Rye Cake
Our lovely friend Therese Elstad from My Nordic Kitchen is today sharing her delicious recipe of a Spiced Rye Cake, which she originally created for Norwegian food magazine Kvardagsmat.
“This cake has a low amount of butter and sugar- and as it consist of rye flour it adds a good amount of fiber, making you feel more full from less eating”.
Spiced Rye Cake
Author Therese Elstad
2,5 dl honey
4 dl rye flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla sugar
3 tsp cinnamon
3 tsp cloves, ground
3 tsp ginger, ground
250g butter, room temperature
1 lemon, zest
1 tsp vanilla sugar
300g powdered sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
2. Melt butter and set aside for now.
3. Whip the eggs until fluffy and shift in the flour, vanilla sugar and spices.
4. Stir in the melted butter and honey- and pour it into a cake tin (about 20 cm).
5. Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes or until done in the centre. Let cool completely.
6. For the frosting add room tempered butter, vanilla sugar, lemon zest and powdered sugar in a food processor with a balloon whip and blend until white and fluffy.
7. When the cake has cooled off- cut in in two and spread frosting on top of the one layer and place the second layer on top. Creating a lovely frosted centre.
8. Spread the rest of the frosting all around the cake and decorate with edible roses.
Visit Therese to see more of her work at My Nordic Kitchen